Buckeyes Shut Out the Terrapins
In a quick turnaround, the sixth ranked Buckeyes returned to the mat Sunday afternoon against the 0-5 Maryland Terrapins in College Park, Maryland. The Buckeyes had 3 pins and won all ten matches on their way to a 41-0 victory. This is the first time Ohio State has blanked a Big Ten opponent since 1979 when they defeated Purdue 52-0. Please read below for match by match results.
125 Pounds: No. 12 Malik Heinselman (4-0) vs. Zach Spence (0-2)
- Malik started this match out aggressively with a quick takedown. Heinselman was able to turn Spence for 4 near fall points then rode him out for the rest of the first period making the score 6-0. Spence chose to go down to start the second period and scored a quick escape making the score 6-1. Heinselman scored another takedown and 4 more nearfall points before pinning Spence. Heinselman’s pin made the team score 6-0 Ohio State.
133 Pounds: No. 24 Jordan Decatur (3-2) vs. Jackson Cockrell
- Decatur started this match out very quickly with a takedown and 4 quick nearfall points making the score 6-0. Cockrell was able to escape prior to the period ending making the score 6-1 to end the first period. Decatur chose to go down to start the second period quickly escaping increasing his lead to 7-1. Decatur got back to his offense scoring another takedown, increasing his lead to 9-1. Cockrell was able to escape then score a takedown of his own making the score 9-4 until Decatur escaped increasing his lead to 10-4 to end the second period. Cockrell chose to go down to start the third period. Cockrell escaped making the score 10-5. Cockrell then score two quick takedowns making the score 12-9. Decatur was able to score the final takedown of the match securing his victory in a 15-9 decision. Decatur’s decision made the team score 9-0 OSU.
141 Pounds: Anthony Echemendia (3-0) vs. Danny Bertoni
- The first period was all Echemendia scoring 3 takedowns making the score 6-3 to end the first period. Bertoni chose to go neutral to start the second period and was able to score the only takedown of the period making the score 6-5 in favor of Echemendia. Echemendia chose to go neutral in the third period and was able to utilize his superior strength and athleticism to score the only takedown of the period making the final score an 8-6 decision for Echemendia. Echemenidia’s victory made the team score 12-0 OSU.
149 Pounds: No. 2 Sammy Sasso (4-0) vs. Hunter Baxter
- Baxter was able to get to Sasso’s legs multiple times in this period but Sasso utilized his superior scrambling ability to score 3 takedowns, including 4 near fall points on the last takedown. This made the score 10-2 after the first period. Sasso chose to go down to start the second period and was able to quickly escape increasing his lead to 11-2. Sasso was able to tack on another takedown and 2 more nearfall points making the score 15-3 after Baxter escaped late in the period. Baxter chose to go down to start the third period, quickly escaping making the score 15-4. Sasso went back to work scoring the final takedown of the match, scoring 4 more near fall points and eventually being awarded the fall. Sasso’s pin made the team score 18-0 OSU.
157 Pounds: Elijah Cleary (3-1) vs. Michael Doetsch (1-1)
- Both wrestlers fought for position majority of the first period but Cleary was able to score a single takedown in this period making the score 2-1 after Doetsch escaped. Doetsch chose to go down to start the second period, quickly escaping which tied the match 2-2. Cleary was able to score one more takedown this period making the score 4-2 to end the second period. Cleary chose to go down to start the third period. Cleary was unable to escape but Doetsch was unable to turn Cleary to win the match. Cleary defeated Doetsch by a 4-3 decision. Cleary’s victory made the team score 21-0 OSU.
165 Pounds: No. 6 Ethan Smith (3-1) vs. Jonathan Spadafora
- Smith started this match like his hair was on fire. Smith scored 6 takedowns in the first period making the score 12-6. Spadafora chose to go down to start the second period and Smith let him escape making the score 12-7. Smith went on to score 3 more takedowns to end the second period with an 18-9 lead. Smith chose down to start the third period and was able to escape increasing his lead to 19-9. Smith score two more takedowns making the final score a 23-10 major decision. Smith’s major decision made the team score 25-0 OSU.
174 Pounds: No. 4 Kaleb Romero (4-0) vs. Phillip Spadafora
- Kaleb continued his relentless pace in this match scoring 4 takedowns in the first period making the score 8-4. Spadafora chose to go down to start the second period and Romero allowed him to escape making the score 8-5. Spadafora fought hard but Romero was able to tack on two more takedowns, ending the period with a 12-6 lead. Romero chose to go down to start the third period and was able to escape and score a takedown making the score 15-7 after Spadafora escaped. Romero was able to tack on another takedown making the score 17-8 after Spadafora escaped. I missed the call but Romero was awarded another point in what I assume was a stalling call against Spadafora making the final score a 19-8 major decision for Romero. Romero’s victory made the team score 29-0 OSU.
184 Pounds: Rocky Jordan (1-3) vs. Kyle Cochran (2-3)
- Jordan scored the only takedown late in the first period and was able to ride Cochran out making the score 2-0 after 1. Jordan chose neutral to start the second period and neither wrestler was able to get into position to score. Cochran chose to go neutral to start the third period and was able to score a takedown tying the match 2-2. Cochran fought hard to ride Jordan but Jordan was able to get a reversal making the final score a 4-2 decision for Jordan. Jordan’s victory made the team score 32-0 OSU.
197 Pounds: Chase Singletary (2-0) vs. Jaron Smith (0-4)
- Neither wrestler was able to score in the first period. Smith chose to go down to start the second period and Singletary was able to ride him out to maintain the 0-0 score. Singletary chose to go down to start the third period and Smith was able to turn Singletary scoring 2 nearfall points. Smith’s corner challenged the call arguing it should have been 4. It was very close but the call was upheld. Singletary was then able to escape making the score 2-1 in favor of Smith. The third period ended but Singletary maintained his riding time which tied the match 2-2. The match then headed into sudden victory where the first takedown wins. Singletary was able to score a takedown in a scramble near the edge of the mat ending the match in a 4-2 decision for Singletary. Singletary’s victory made the team score 35-0 OSU.
HWT: No. 8 Tate Orndorff (2-2) vs. Garrett Kappas (0-2)
- Orndorff scored the only takedown of the first period and was able to turn Kappas scoring 2 near fall points. Orndorff ended the first period with a 4-0 lead. Orndorff chose to go down to start the second period. Orndorff was able to escape then throw Kappas using a body lock scoring the Pin. Orndorff’s pin made the final team score 41-0.
Written By Brandon Dodson
Follow me @RecruitingBucks