No. 3 Overall in the 2021 Class Commits to Tom Ryan and the Buckeyes
Padraic (Paddy) Gallagher, a Junior from St. Edward High School in Cleveland, Ohio committed to Ohio State on Monday evening. Earlier this year, Gallagher stated it has been his lifelong dream to become a Big Ten wrestler and many believed Gallagher’s top two schools were Iowa and Ohio State. Ohio State will be getting not only an excellent wrestler but an excellent young man.
Gallagher started out his high school career by placing 3rd in the 152-pound weight class in 2017-2018. In his sophomore season, Gallagher was on a mission and went 17-0 on his way to winning a state title. During the 2018-2019 state tournament, Gallagher dominated his opponents. In the first three rounds of the state tournament, he won 24-9, 25-10, and 20-4. He faced off against the number one 160 pounder in the country, Connor Brady, out of Olentangy Liberty for the State Title. Gallagher won a close match by a 7-6 decision and was crowned state champion in the 160-pound weight class.
Gallagher wrestled in the Who’s Number One Tournament at Iowa University back in October and was defeated by the number one wrestler in the country, Keegan O’toole, in the 160-pound weight class by a score of 12-1. He tweeted shortly after the tournament stating he learned a lot and would be back. You can follow him @paddygallagherr.
Back in November I spoke with Gallagher’s father and he confirmed his son will be wrestling in the 157 or 165-pound weight classes in college. Kharchla (current OSU wrestler) will be at the 165-pound weight class for the next 3 to 4 years, so 157 would be an excellent lineup fit.
· 2016 2nd place in the Ohio Freestyle state tournament Cadet 126 pounds
· 2016 Champion at the Super 32 tournament
· 2016 2nd place at the Tulsa Flow kickoff
· 2017 Champion at the Best of the Midwest Philo tournament
· 2017 Champion at the Tulsa Nationals
· 2017 Champion at the Delta Freestyle Qualifier Cadet 138 pounds
· 2017 Ohio freestyle champion Cadet 138 pounds
· 2017 UWW All-American
· 2018 Champion at the Central Regional freestyle Junior 152 pounds
· 2019 USMC Junior Freestyle(Fargo) National Champion at 160 pounds
Written By: Brandon Dodson
Photo credit to @paddygallagherr